Friday, March 29, 2013

Zoey's Birth Story

     We moved to Washington in October, found out I was pregnant in November and then in December we got the news that my husband was deploying in February, so it all happened really fast. My plan was to stay in Washington for the pregnancy but once he left, I knew I had to move home to be with my friends and family so I packed up and left 3 days later. I came back to Washington in the middle of June to get things ready for Zoey. The entire pregnancy, we were unsure if the hubs was going to be able to come back for the birth. It went back and forth the entire time! 



     Finally, 2 weeks before my due date he got the OK to head back to the states. I was beyond excited. Although I had to relax and not get too excited because being this close to my due date, I didn't want to do anything that would cause this little nugget to come early. That meant watching T.V. ALL DAY with my feet up and relaxing in the bathtub. Those were the days.... Anyways, he flew into Kuwait where he got stuck. Crap. He had to wait an entire week in Kuwait because he missed a flight by 3 hours!!! Ugh. He finally caught a flight out of there and made it home Sunday afternoon. That night, I felt my first contraction.
I can't believe he made it. Oh wow! I was huge!


     I knew I had to wait for my labor to progress so we timed the contractions and waited until they were about 4 minutes apart. The next morning my husband packed my hospital bag. Like I said, I didn't want to do a single thing that would put me into labor early so really nothing was done. We then went into the hospital and they ended up sending us home. I went back in that night at 3am and I was 4cm dilated and 75% effaced but they sent me home again! At this point, I was ready to give myself a c-section to get the baby out. I called my doctor and asked if he could help. He called me back after reviewing my L&D charts and said to go back to the hospital because I was for sure in labor. 

The view from the hospital room


     They finally admitted me! I was 6cm and the doctor on duty asked if I even wanted an epidural because I had been doing a good job. I wanted to be like, are you serious?! Do the epidural right this second! After the epidural, the pain stopped instantly and it was so nice to not be able to relax. Although, I was shaking uncontrollably but I heard that happens usually. The doctor came in to break my water and then my husband decided to go grab something to eat because it had been a day since we had eaten. While he was gone they said the baby wasn't getting enough fluid so they had to put a tube inside the womb, or around the womb? I don't remember but it was to give her some fluid. Then they had to put an oxygen mask on me. I was a little freaked out so I called my husband and I told him to get his butt back up here. He did. I knew it was time to push and after 3 contractions of pushing, so about 15 minutes, on Tuesday night, after 36 hours of contractions, she was here! She did have her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck so that was scary but she was fine. 

I loved these first quiet moments as a family of 3


*This may be TMI* 

     ****After the baby is out, they pull on the umbilical cord slowly and carefully to get the placenta out. It was crazy gross and I thought it just plopped out but apparently they take it out. Then they push down on your stomach and like massage it to get all the blood out. It doesn't hurt one bit but blood and juice and gunk gets EVERYWHERE.****

     My stay at Madigan Army Hospital was so nice. I had a shared room but I didn't have a roommate so that was great. They bring you food for every meal that you get to chose and I know most people don't like hospital food but it was my first time having it and I really didn't mind it. In fact, I LOVED their mac 'n cheese! Yum! I stayed there for 2 days, had to watch a movie about not shaking your baby and then they let us all go home! Like all first time moms I'm sure, I was like ummm.... I just take her? What happens now? It all worked out though :) AFTER they admitted me, I had such an amazing experience and it was more than worth it. I love this little dumpling so much and we couldn't be happier. 

Thank you for waiting for your daddy sweet girl.



     

No comments:

Post a Comment